Mechanical Technology – Passenger Vehicle Specialty
Purpose: The Mechanical Technology with Specialization in Passenger Vehicle program prepares students for success as vehicle service mechanics. This program offers training in the testing, diagnosis, and servicing of passenger and light commercial motor vehicles. The program enables students to develop skills needed for the diagnosis as well as repair and maintenance of vehicle systems to include brakes, suspension and steering, electrical/electronics, engine performance, drive trains, heating and air conditioning, and all aspects of engine work.
In addition to classroom study where background knowledge is acquired, shop projects involving work on vehicles provide students with practical experiences where emphasis is placed on developing competence with electronic and other test equipment and the completion of work in accordance with automotive industry standards.
Career Opportunities: The automotive service industry offers a wide variety of career opportunities with excellent chances of advancement. Some of the occupations students may pursue in the automotive service field include: general service technician, specialty technician, diagnostic technician, automotive machinist, service writer/advisor, service manager, parts counter attendant, parts manager, and manufacturer’s service and/or parts representative.
Program Educational Outcomes: Upon completion of this Mechanical Technologies program, the graduate is prepared to:
- Demonstrate safe work habits in compliance with industry standards set forth by the mechanical technology area of their concentration.
- Understand and apply principles of testing, diagnosis, and servicing of passenger and light commercial motor vehicles.
- Diagnose, repair, and maintain electrical and ignition systems, brakes, drive trains, steering and suspension, and all aspects of engine work.
- Apply theoretical knowledge of electronic and other test equipment in practical settings.
- Complete tasks in accordance with industry and NATEF/ASE certification standards.
- Qualify for employment in a variety of positions, including general service technician, specialty technician, diagnostic technician, automotive machinist, service writer/advisor, service manager parts, counter attendant, parts manager and manufacturer’s service and/or parts representative.
Automotive Instructor/Department Chair