Associate in Applied Science - 64 credit hours
Purpose: This two-year Medical Assistant program will provide students with expertise in fulfilling the day-to-day operations of a medical office. Medical assistants manage both administrative and clinical duties of a health occupation organization. Duties include, but are not limited to, preparing exam room, administering blood pressure, greeting and scheduling patients, arranging hospital laboratory services, billing, typing correspondence, answering the phone, and assisting patients.
Career Opportunities: Positions available include medical assistant in a physician’s office, office manager, office assistant, medical secretary, transcriptionist, coder/abstractor, unit secretary, patient registration, receptionist, billing manager, billing clerk, or medical records clerk.
Program Educational Outcomes: Upon completion of the Associate in Applied Science degree in the Medical Assistant program, the graduate is prepared to:
- Demonstrate understanding of commonly used medical terms which are encountered in physical exams, medical correspondence, x-ray and pathological reports. Evaluate and perform medical office administrative procedures including specialties of medical transcription.
- Take specialized clerical positions in medical administration, including records management, billing, and insurance claim processing.
- Utilize word processing and accounting applications.
- Apply principles of safety and sterilization in all aspects of patient/office procedures.
- Obtain vital signs, patient history and instruct patients on treatments.
- Assist other healthcare professionals in procedures and/or patient preparation.
- Qualify for medical assistant positions in a physician’s office.
- Qualify for positions in a variety of career choices, including office manager, office assistant, medical secretary, transcriptionist, coder/abstractor, unit secretary, patient registration, receptionist, billing manager, billing clerk, or medical records clerk.