Automotive Technology Tool List
Purpose: The Automotive Technology certificate program prepares students for the automotive service field. Through an intensive, shop-orientated course, students are introduced to the industry and learn to maintain automotive equipment. Emphasis is placed on understanding automotive principles and on learning to identify and solve vehicular problems. The course provides a solid background in the field, enabling students to continue to acquire skills and to keep up with changes.
Career Opportunities: Graduates of the program may accept positions in areas such as front-end alignment, brakes or general services. Automotive dealerships, independent repair facilities, companies with large vehicle fleets, and automotive parts supply stores are typical employers of program graduates.
Program Educational Outcomes: Upon completion of the certificate curriculum, the graduate is prepared to:
- Demonstrate safe work habits in compliance with industry standards set forth by the Mechanical Technology area of their concentration.
- Understand and apply principles of testing, diagnosis, and servicing of passenger and light commercial motor vehicles.
- Understand and apply basic principles regarding maintenance of automotive equipment.
- Identify and solve mechanical problems.
- Continue to update knowledge and skills about automotive technology in order to keep up with industry standards.
- Complete task in accordance with industry and NATEF/ASE certification standards.
- Apply theoretical knowledge of electronic and other test equipment in practical settings.
- Qualify for employment in positions including front-end alignment, brakes, or general services at automotive dealerships, independent repair facilities, companies with large vehicle fleets, and automotive parts supply stores.