Adventure Recreation and Tourism
Visit our YouTube Channel to view more videos
Associate in Applied Science – 64 credit hours
Certificate – 33 credit hours
We’re Training Maine’s Future Outdoor Leaders!
The Adventure Recreation and Tourism program at Washington County Community College was created in response to the increasing demand for qualified, trained outdoor specialists in the Adventure Tourism industry. The program Course of Study provides practical, hands-on training in rock climbing, sea kayaking, white water and flat water canoeing, wilderness medicine, backpacking, mountaineering, scuba diving, sailing, and a wide variety of other adventure activities.
Maine’s outdoor environment is the ideal place to study how Adventure Tourism is quickly becoming the fastest growing industry in the world. From paddling Maine’s wild rivers, to kayaking the beautiful coast, the Adventure Recreation and Tourism program is well seated in the heritage and culture of all that Maine’s natural environment has to offer.
The purpose of the Adventure Recreation and Tourism program is to equip students with a strong foundation in economic, cultural, and environmental studies related to the Adventure Tourism industry through a variety of challenging and engaging field experiences. This knowledge base allows students to make informed decisions while promoting environmental and cultural stewardship.
The Adventure Recreation and Tourism program balances theoretical knowledge with hands-on, practical skills enabling students to take effective leadership roles in planning, coordinating, and guiding recreational adventures.
Program Educational Outcomes: Upon completion of the Associate in Applied Science degree in the Adventure Recreation and Tourism Program, the graduate is prepared to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the knowledge, technical skills and credentials necessary to work in various facets of the adventure tourism industry.
- Demonstrate understanding of and apply knowledge concerning personal and group safety and conscientious stewardship of the heritage and the environment.
- Demonstrate leadership in varied and diverse situations.
- Demonstrate ability to support adventure-based and nature-based outdoor recreation activities.
- Demonstrate eligibility to take several tests for licensure related to the adventure recreation and tourism industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic business skills applied to adventure tourism.
Adventure Recreation Contact
Adventure Recreation & Tourism Instructor