Powersport Equipment/Small Engine Technician
Certificate – 29 credit hours
Purpose: The Powersport Equipment/Small Engine Technician Certificate program was developed to train students as professional entry level outdoor power propulsion and small engine technicians through a combination of theory and hands on experience. The program prepares students to maintain and repair a variety of outdoor equipment. Students will be introduced to the skills and knowledge to be capable of diagnosing mechanical failures quickly and accurately on various types of two- and four-cycle small engines that are presently used to power lawn mowers, snowblowers, generators, garden tractors, rototillers, snowmobiles, ATVs, and personal watercrafts. Students who perform satisfactorily may find employment as service technicians, sales personnel, equipment rental staff, and factory representatives or may wish to open their own business.
Program Educational Outcomes: Upon completion of the Certificate in Mechanical Technology in Powersport Equipment/Small Engine Technician the graduate is prepared to:
- Demonstrate a foundation in theory, technology, equipment, safety and industry standards.
- Understand and apply basic principles of testing, diagnosis, and servicing of small engines, outdoor power equipment, recreational power equipment and power sport equipment.
- Understand and apply basic principles regarding repair and maintenance.
- Identify, diagnose, and solve mechanical equipment/engine problems.
- Apply theoretical knowledge and skills, and complete repair and maintenance tasks in accordance with the Equipment and Engine Training Council (EETC) and the outdoor Power Equipment and Engine Service Association (OPEESA).
- Apply theoretical knowledge of electronic and other test equipment in practical settings.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Interpret service information.
- Work towards EETC 4 Stoke Technician certification.
- Work towards Briggs & Stratham and Kohler Engine certifications.
- Work towards Stihl Bronze training.
- Work towards Mercury Outboard Technician certification.
Powersport Equipment/Small Engine Technician Contact
Powersport Equipment/Small Engine Technician Instructor