Miliary personnel at the annual polar bear dip pose for a picture.

Members of the Maine Army National Guard 1136th Transport Company pose with WCCC President Joe Cassidy at the annual Polar Bear Dip. (Photo by Don Dunbar)

WCCC Welcomes You

Washington County Community College welcomes you and thanks you for your tremendous service and dedication to our country. WCCC is approved by the Veterans Administration (VA) for training of veterans and their dependents. In addition to the WCCC application, individuals who are eligible for education benefits through the VA are encouraged to complete the process to apply for benefits. Becoming a student as a veteran is similar to the process taken by civilian students with a few big things you need to do to get started.

Checklist of things to do:

  1. Apply for Veteran Affair (VA) benefits
  2. Request your military transcripts
  3. Determine if you qualify for Prior Learning Credits

Apply for Veterans Affairs

Apply for Veterans Affairs benefits by visiting the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Request your military transcripts

Veterans are encouraged to submit their military training transcripts to WCCC for evaluation. The links for the various services are listed below.

  • Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans may use the Joint Service Transcript (JST) system to request transcripts.
  • Air Force veterans may go to Air University (AU) to request a transcript.

Determine if you qualify for Prior Learning Credits

To seek credit for prior learning you must be formally admitted into a degree at WCCC. Visit the Credit for Prior Learning page to find out more.


VA Certifying Official

Anne Donahue
Washington County Community College
One College Drive
Calais, ME 04619
Phone: (207) 454-1000 or (800) 210-6932 (in Maine)
Fax: (207) 454-1026

Financial Aid Office

Washington County Community College
One College Drive
Calais, Me 04619
Phone: (207) 454-1033
Fax: (207) 454-1026

More information regarding veterans education benefit programs

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US Government website at

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)
Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) (Chapter 1607)
Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) (Chapter 32)
Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)
State of Maine Veterans Dependents Tuition Waiver Program
Tuition Reimbursement Program through the Maine National Guard
Veteran College Success
Veterans Affordable College Guide