MAINE COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM – NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, April 22, 2020
CONTACT: Noel K. Gallagher; Director of Communications and Public Affairs; firstname.lastname@example.org; (207) 629-4028
AUGUSTA, ME – Seven students chosen as the 2020 Students of the Year at Maine’s community colleges were honored Wednesday in a special online presentation.
“We are in awe of what these students have accomplished,” MCCS President David Daigler said after the students and the nominating deans spoke during a Zoom webinar. “It’s sincerely the highlight of the year.”
The students were selected by faculty and staff at their college for their academic success and their campus and community involvement. In addition to being named Student of the Year, each student received a John and Jana Lapoint Leadership Award in the amount of $1,000. The Lapoints both served as trustees of the Maine Community College System. After John’s death in 1995, Jana Lapoint helped establish the fund for the annual awards.
“I know how proud (John) would be of all of you. We both would encourage you to never give up, keep pursuing your dreams, never accept it can’t be done, and always give back to society whenever and whatever you can,” she told the students. “You all have my deepest respect and admiration for all your accomplishments.”
The 2020 Students of the Year are:
- Central Maine Community College: Kate McPherson, Computer Technology, of Litchfield;
- Eastern Maine Community College: Ethan Preble, Human Services, of Birch Harbor;
- Kennebec Valley Community College: Mason Peterson, Liberal Studies, of Waterville;
- Northern Maine Community College: Marcel Chalou, Water Treatment Technology, of Easton;
- Southern Maine Community College: Liam Woodworth-Cook, Liberal Studies/English Concentration, of South Portland;
- Washington County Community College: Clinton Dakin, Engine Specialist, of Stockton Springs;
- York County Community College: Billy Susanto, Computer Science, of Berwick.
Learn more about these students: https://bit.ly/2yx4Yzp